Friday, May 8, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Fridays ~ Living Rooms!

Welcome to my Shabby Cottage home!
I love anything colorful and vintage. I have been collecting old picnic baskets for quite a while and have more scattered around the house. They make good storage for decorator accessories I am not currently displaying. I found the antique radio/turntable at an antique mall in Joplin, Missouri when we lived there. It wasn't in the greatest shape, but I saw what it could be. I took it apart, painted it green and recovered the speaker fabric with stripes. It makes a great end table, don't you think! I got this antique shelf from my friend, the artist, Tracy Roos. I base coated it in red and then sponge painted on two shades of pink and spattered a little green on it. I gave the cedar hope chest in the below picture the same treatment and sometimes arrange these pieces together, with the chest below the shelves. I HAD to paint the chest......it is the hope chest my Dad gave my Mother for her sweet 16th birthday when they were dating. My Mom gave it to me and my youngest sister drew all over the top with a black sharpie marker when she was a toddler. I sanded and sanded, it was on there good.......Sooooo, now it's pink and I love it!!

You can see our foyer and front door. We have a nice entry with a big walk-in coat closet. We use the wood stove to heat most of the house. Behind this couch is our staircase.


The banister is horrible, but hubby is not very motivated to change it, sigh.... Up on the wall is antique baby crib springs. I have lots of family photos, etc...on it. I love to see all the pictures as I go up the stairs. I had a cute sign on the top of it, but it was just sitting on it and wasn't attached to the wall. Every time my son would vacuum the stairs, he would bump the springs and the sign would fall on his head. He informed me the sign could no longer reside there, heehe!
Remember you should be able to click any pic to make it larger!


I am sitting on the wood stove to take this picture. The kitchen is on the left, the dining area on the right and you look thru the arch into the family room/art studio. That beautiful quilt was make by hubby's Grama. She passed away before we met. It is a family heirloom I will pass down to my kids someday. It has ALL my favorite decorating colors in it.


I got the red hutch at a garage sale years ago for cheap. It was made of plywood someone had stained. It looked really bad. I put the decorative wood trim pieces on it and spray painted it RED! I added the vintage style glass knobs. It is one of my favorite pieces of furniture.


Thank you for stopping by my Shabby Cottage home! I wonder what room Kelly will choose next week!
Blessings~LillySue

23 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that your son vacuums the stairs!

Beth said...

Wow I really LOVE your living room :) It's so cheery looking! I especially like the red hutch - so cute!

Ellen said...

I love all your old baskets and the crib springs on the wall...what a great idea. Can't wait to see next week.

Lynette said...

What a fun living room. I love the quilt up on the wall.

The Swanky Socialite said...

LOVE all the colors and all the little accesories!Great job!

ooglebloops said...

Very cute house!! I love the quilts on the walls and the furniture (especially the red hutch) that you 'saved' and repainted!!! LOL

~Katie said...

I agree with the others, I love the red hutch...But seriously, how do you have an in-home daycare and all those cute decorations and knick knacks everywhere? My house is BARE b/c of my two kids. I am jealous!

Rachel said...

You know what line stood out the most in that post? "Every time my son vacuums the stairs..." How do you do that?
What a nice, spacious house you have! What do I love best in your pics? The baby crib springs (great idea!), the red painted hutch, and Grandma's quilt. Those were my favourites.
Thanks so much for sharing with us ♥

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

YOu have such a cheerful place!

Anonymous said...

What a great living space. I love the uniqueness of your living room. The yellow walls are great! Thanks for sharing.
Heather

Anonymous said...

How nice,I love touches we add ourselves to our homes.That is what makes it a home.Really cute!

Betty Jo said...

Lilly Sue, your home is gorgeous! I love it. I can hardly wait to get my apartment all put together. There is still so much to do since my last move. But, one of these days it will all come together and my little nest will be cozy again. I'm having a giveaway at my blog, please stop by. ♥

Melly said...

Your living room is gorgeous!!

Have a wonderful weekend & Happy Mothers Day!!

Melly:)

Carrie said...

Cute, cute living room! It's so cheerful! :o)

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Such great colors! Just a happy room.
~Michelle

KIMBERLY said...

love your wood stove and red hutch! fun! thanks for sharing!

Anya said...

Wow!!
Your livingroom is very nice :)
Happy mothersday ^___^

Christina said...

Very cozy looking to me! Inviting too!

debi said...

You have such a cute cottage home!! Love how it is filled with warm and cheerful colors.

Charmingdesigns said...

What a wonderful Home. I LOVE Sisters! I plan on coming to the quilt show this year, its been a few years. Lauie

Carri said...

So fun! Thanks for sharing!

obsessed scrapbooker said...

I love the baby crib springs for photos! What a fabulous idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I am in love with your style. I just can't say how much! I will be stalking your blog. I am so inspired! Thank you. (I will be getting a real blog soon)De